Sunday, June 7, 2026

Girls Recitals, Grayson Tonsillectomy

Hello from beautiful dance recital after-party!  We had a whole crew come out to see the girls dance this week, and the Packers came to watch too.  Everyone had a great time.


Winry had three dances.  First was hip hop.


Then jazz.


And finally tumble pom.


She did super great in all her dances, and it was so much fun to watch.  The whole audience went wild for the 80's throwback they were wearing in their final dance number.  I'm really proud of her and glad she's having so much fun dancing.  Here's our family all together after her recital.  On the way home from Winry's recital, we all stopped at Jeremiah's for some water-ice, and, as always, you can't have a bad time at Jeremiah's.  Also, Grayson heard "Jeremiah was a Bullfrog" for the first time, I believe on the drive over, and was in LOVE!  We had to listen to it again and again and he thought it was so funny he couldn't stop laughing.


We're deep in preparations for Grayson's tonsillectomy, which includes reserving a full drawer in the freezer for popsicles, which he is very excited about.


Tuesday we had Brooke's dance recital, and she had 5 dances, however, I only seem to have been able to find pictures of 4.  She does so many types of dance I'm not even going to try to guess what is what.  This is her mad hatter dance for company.


And then she had this dance with a nice lift in it.


There was this up-beat ditty with a shiny skirt.


Ooh, ooh, this one is tumble pom!  I know this one!


And then she closed down the show with her final company dance to a song I'm going to guess is called "Butterfly."  Brooke's recital was the earlier show in the day, so after we had everyone over for pizza.


Most of our guests left Tuesday evening after pizza and bed, but my parents stuck around for the rest of the week. Wednesday morning Monica and I took Grayson to the hospital for his tonsillectomy.  He brought a few stuffed animals, including this new bear from Niki.


He was in a very good mood and very excited to get going.  He had fun changing into his hospital clothes, and just couldn't believe the hose on the sphygmomanometer was as long as his arm!


Coming out of surgery was a different story.  I came in with my camera running in case he said something funny, but he was just sad.  He did NOT want his IV in his hand any more and told us it hurt and needed to come out over and over until the nurse was able to take it out.  He did, however, immediately chomp down on his first popsicle of the day.  I think on day 1 he might have had 10 in total by the end of the day.


After he'd been awake for maybe 45 minutes they took out the IV and wrapped a bandage onto the back of his hand.  He did still sometimes say his hand hurt while the bandage was there, and also that a blister on the top of his foot hurt, but his throat and nose were just fine (he had is adenoids out too).  Phineas and Ferb wasn't calming him as I had hoped, but once we got him calmer he asked for the Switch and that helped him get through the rest of waiting at the hospital.


Being hand fed popsicles didn't hurt either.  In the end we had to stay for 2 hours after he woke up so they could monitor things.  Towards the end, he was more than ready to head for home, but was a champion the whole time.  He even took off his bandage over the IV spot when it was time.


That night, Brooke offered to sleep in his room with him.  Personally, I think she was worried about him and wanted to be in there to keep an eye on him.  I don't think we usually woke her up when we gave him medicine in the middle of the night. She tried to help comfort him a few times when he woke up, or came to get us if he was crying and we weren't there yet. So all in all she was a great helper, and I think Grayson liked having her there too.


I was in the backyard with the girls playing lacrosse, and I suddenly heart a rotation of bird calls.  It was all from this one guy on the neighbors' roof, so I figured it was a mockingbird.  I took a video of it, and when I showed it to Monica she pulled out her bird call identifying app and it identified about 6 birds, including the mockingbird.  They're pretty fun to listen to.  It very much reminded me of one of these toy laser guns from when I was a kid.


Monica found a lizard chilling in our garden, and they are welcome guests there.  Please, eat all our bugs, but mostly eat all the mosquitos!


My parents had a great time hanging out with their grandkids while visiting, and that includes reading book after book after book to Grayson.  I'll admit, he spent a lot of his recovery week watching tv or playing the switch. But if they got him going on reading stories, he would just bring another and another all day long.  

Oh, and we had a pretty decent rain storm on Friday, and I was showing my mom how we don't have rain gutters in the back.  I guess it's cause waterfalls are so pretty.


On Saturday I took my parents to the airport. When I got back home, I took the girls over to a town festival where they had tiles to paint for a mosaic!  They're doing a 250th anniversary of the USA mural, and had little tiles you could paint.  You were supposed to paint your square of the picture first, and then could add whatever you wanted to it after.  I'm really excited to get to see the final result!


Then we went over to the food trucks and got hot dogs for lunch, and they were some of the best hot dogs we've ever eaten.  The place was called Topp Dawg, and if you see it somewhere, you gotta go try one.


Then, when we were heading for home I got a call from Monica saying that Grayson had decided he wanted to paint a tile.  So I dropped the girls off and took Grayson back over for round 2.  He got a swath of blue sky, so on top of his blue he painted a frog!  And he painted it all by himself.  I helped find a reference image to copy, and helped him break it into pieces like painting a big circle first, and paint this leg with a line like this or whatever, but he did the whole thing by himself, amazing!


As you might have guessed, Grayson was feeling a lot better towards the end of the week.  He lost his popsicle craze after day 2 or so because he ate so many the first few days.  On Saturday afternoon he found his tattoos he got for Christmas and asked Winry to open a tattoo parlor.  You can't even see them all, because this is actually a picture of him putting on like 8 pairs of socks at once, and those are covering a few.


Sunday was stake conference, and we just watched it from home while Grayson was recovering.  I'm sure we could have made it work at the church, but I have this weird feeling that sitting in the chapel that long would have made his throat hurt.  After church, we decided to go over and see how the temple construction is going.  It seems good to me, though I'm no construction expert. Especially not when you're talking stone and steel I beams.


I had the treat for FHE on Sunday, and I decided to make homemade Tim Tams.  They turned out pretty tasty, but I think for attempt 2 I'm going to look for a different biscuit recipe that's a bit lighter, and bakes crisper.  Don't get me wrong, they were very good, but if you think Tim Tam, when you take a bite and it's not crisp you also think "stale," and that's not what I was going for.


What a week.  A bit of an adventure for everyone.  Oh, and I even missed a trip to Chicago for work to stay home for the surgery.  Obviously work understood, it's just more the fact that literally everything landed on this same week.  Hopefully Grayson continues to recover great over the next week. They did warn us that 5-7 days after surgery his scabs would start coming off and that would be the worst of it, so that's what we're heading into right now.  Wish us luck!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment