Sunday, June 21, 2026

Happy Father's Day!

Look at them kids all singing to me!  They sang "I'm so glad when daddy comes home" and I tried to get a picture when they were all blowing a kiss at the end.  My picture is a little too early or late, but the kids are all singing great.


The kids are trying to make the most of their summer, and that's included many trips to the library.  Everyone has a reading goal, and the kids are working hard on theirs.  The library even has a program to try to read for 1200 minutes over the summer, and the kids have been flying through it.  At the library, they have one of those giant teddy bears, and it does look like a pretty good place to sit and read a book.


When I was heading to the train to go to work, I got out of my car and saw that someone had a visitor on their windshield.  It caught my attention because I don't think I've ever seen a bird here before.


The kids made a bed for Jelly out of blankets, and she's been using it!  We're going to leave it while we're gone on our vacation so she remembers how much we love her.


Apparently Grayson has a new milk trick, and keeps a cup in the door where it's always ready when he needs a hit.  This does seem like the best way to get a drink...


We had a big storm roll through in the middle of the night.  I think it was Friday night to Saturday.  All I remember is that it woke me up several times, but I was also so tired that night that I just dropped right back to sleep.  I spent all day Friday cutting wood for bookshelves and painting them, so I was extra tired that night.  All that to say, I sure didn't get out of bed to take a look at the storm, but it seemed louder than usual. In the morning, Monica went for a walk and saw that the cactus around the neighborhood had been hit pretty hard.


On Saturday, I was out in the garage painting and working on the shelves.  I had a headlamp on to make sure I had good lighting, and apparently it was twisted a bit and pushing the cord into my head.  It didn't hurt until I took it off, and I had a pretty nice line from it.


Grayson went with Monica to the grocery store to do a little Father's Day shopping.  He is holding exactly the present he knew he wanted to get for me!  Also, I can't imagine it's very comfortable to lay in a wire cart, but at least he had a bag for his head.


Brooke has been working hard to learn a Cougarette dance from Youtube, and Kayla came over on Saturday and they worked on it together.  They got it down pretty well and were excited to show it off.  Amazing job girls.


Monica found a little leaf bug type guy in the evening when cleaning.  I don't know exactly what it is.  It looks like a leaf from the side, but it's also not that big.  Like, I think real leaf bugs are bigger, so I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it looks like one.


My kids know all the best ways to wrap up presents!  Grayson really loved the giraffe, and can't read well enough to know what the bag said.  It's okay, I also just looked at the pictures and loved it!


This morning I was putting on my Father's day tie I got a few years back, and realized we still hadn't written the year on it.  I started going through pictures and blog posts and didn't have a picture from the year I got it, nor did I mention it in a blog.  I love that tie and since it's never been featured, I'll tell you about it. It's a plain white tie, but then each of the kids put a handprint on it in a different color.  Anyway, I guess you never know when I might need to know that Grayson gave me a rainbow whisk in 2026, but now it's documented for future Alex when he needs to know.  Oh, he also gave me a Switch gift card, and suggested I could use it for the Mario Wonder DLC, but we need a Switch 2 first.


Brooke gave me some Calvin and Hobbs comics, and they were great fun to read.  The kids have really been enjoying reading them.  We don't get a newspaper, so the kids don't get to sneak the comics like I always did growing up, but now I can at least share Calvin and Hobbs with them (and Garfield once the bookshelves are done).


And from Winry I got Captain Crunch! Yum, I'm so excited to eat it.  You can also see that I got chocolate covered cinnamon bears from Monica. I really wanted some a week or two back, and found out that NOWHERE anywhere around here sells them.


When Monica asked what food I wanted for Father's day my only request was a Jeremiah's ice cream cake.  It turns out it's all just ice cream and Italian ice, but it was fantastic!  They were very nice and let Monica pick any flavors she wanted, so we had peanut butter and salted caramel Italian ice in chocolate soft serve with Biscoff cookie crumbs.  It was supreme.


And I think that's a wrap for now.  I don't have a picture of the bookshelves yet since I didn't quite finish.  As I was assembling them, I thought to check how many nails I should use per shelf, and saw recommendations to not use nails at all, but to use something else like glue or screws for strength.  So I started drilling holes and putting in screws until my drill died a little before 11 pm. So hopefully I'll have a minute on Monday to finish adding screws and getting the shelves put up.  And hopefully I'll take a picture.  I spent all day Friday (holiday for Juneteenth) and Saturday working on them, and only have a picture of a dent in my head to show for it!  And in closing, here's Jelly getting a drink from the sink in slow-mo.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment