Sunday, September 22, 2024

Tale of Two Weeks

A little pre story before we get into the split weeks.  One night when Brooke was going to bed, she called Monica up because her finger was kind of numb.  Random places on her hand were kind of numb feeling, and there wasn't really a reason why so we told her to let us know if it got worse and keep trying to go to sleep.  In the morning she told us her hand was feeling worse, and it looked swollen, so I took a look, and under her scrunchy she had like... 7 hair bands that were just TOO tight to be on her wrist.  If you zoom in you could count and see if I got the number right.  So we won't be wearing those anymore, and may be we'll buy some bigger ones, cause I know Brooke loves to have one on for just in case.


The week split on Wednesday, when Monica and the kids left me for Utah.  Looks like the pilots needed help taking off, so good thing we've trained our children for moments like these.


After landing, they stopped to get dinner at Noodles & Co. on their way to Gram and Pop's house, and got in in time for bedtime.  The next day they went to BYU, or as Brooke calls it "my future school."  They had a lot of fun at the book store on the slide, and of course shopped for some new BYU drip.


After, they went to the MOA for lunch, and this seemed the best picture to bring up the fact that Melanie was visiting from India!  That's the real reason why Monica went out on this otherwise random week.  Also, I think the kids have Monday off school, so a 3 day weekend is also a good reason too.


While on campus, they reached out to the most recent Harding cougar, Emilee!  I don't know what all they did together, but I know they walked the pedestrian bridges up by the Marriott Center, and it looks like they were all excited to see each other.


Friday they headed to the aquarium up in Salt Lake City.  It's apparently a super awesome aquarium.  I haven't been to it since it moved several years ago.  The kids all had a lot of fun.  We talked on the phone that night, and they told me all about the animals.  There was a tube you could walk through at the bottom of the shark tank, and a UV light with some jelly fish, and all kinds of other things I'm not remembering.  There was also this cool rope bridge that at least some of the kids crossed.  I asked Winry if she felt like she was in a Magic Tree House story.  She said no...


There was also a Komodo dragon with a sculpture.  There were several animal sculptures, all of which were climbable. 


Turns out that Friday was also Gram's birthday.  This was a pretty good weekend to go out, eh?  Everyone had mint brownies and sang happy birthday!


On Saturday everyone went out for a hike.  Grayson found a very good walking stick, which came in handy mostly to hold in the air from step to step.  Definitely made his hike easier.


They found this nice clearing, and it looks like some of the trees were even changing colors.  Monica said the weather was perfect for the hike as well, so that's lucky, because I was having second summer here in Texas.


They came upon this tree that was bridging the creek.  It took some convincing from Monica that it would be safe, but everyone, including Grayson, crossed it.  Grayson crawled across with Winry.  Once they did it once it was fun, not scary, and they were all VERY excited to tell me about crossing this log. Everyone wished they could stay there all day long.


Saturday night Monica, all the kids, and many others went to the BYU volleyball game.  They were worried beforehand about Grayson getting bored and causing problems, but everyone had an amazing time!  Volleyball is a pretty good one for younger kids, because there's a lot of stops in the action and they play music all the time.  The kids loved getting up and dancing.


Here's Brooke and Audrey watching the game.


And here's Grayson and Winry.  The good thing about sitting up high is that there was free space for running around.  Also, usually the volleyball games are packed, but there was a football game shortly after the volleyball game, so I think that kept the attendance lower at the volleyball game. After the game, Brooke was very excited to walk through the Richards Building, home of the dance department. She hopes to spend a lot of time there someday!

Oh, and does this tree look familiar?  Yup, this is the tree "house" at the church building from when we were all out a few weeks ago.  Looks like Grayson shared the secret with Jett.  Who knows if they ever made it into church...


So after that action packed week, I'm sure you're all dying to know the amazing adventures I went on back at home.  I spent the first few days eating leftovers to try to not let anything go bad, and Friday night I finally had to cook for the first time.  I kinda made pasta in a pot, except I made it in a pan.  It was great!!


On Saturday I had a few things to do on my computer, like get caught up writing blog posts, and work on my lesson for church, etc.  Jelly likes to join me in the office, and a lizard came by too!  I think that's really why Jelly likes to come in here, she usually sits on the windowsill looking out at the bush.


Saturday night was the BYU football game, and since I had the house to myself I got some buddies together to tailgate and watch the game together.  Literal party going on right here.


And here we are at game time.  It was a late night kick off, so we turned the lights off, and there's no way anyone fell asleep before the game ended...  I was awake long enough to see that we were going to win at least, and it was a pleasant surprise in the morning to see we didn't lose our lead!


And now that you've seen what I've been up to, I'm sure you're all grateful that my family is coming back to me tomorrow.  I am too!

No comments:

Post a Comment