Sunday, May 10, 2026

Donut Dashin' Mothers' Day

I was thinking about just leaving the pictures in order, but then I saw the picture of my trophy and realized we didn't get one of me holding it at the end of the race! So since it's just the trophy, why not start there.  It's a squishy foam donut on a regular trophy base, and I LOVE it!!  The only problem is that my running display only holds bib numbers and medals.  Maybe I'll have to make a little shelf to put on the wall next to it so I can keep my trophy with the rest of my running stuff!  If I do I'll try to remember to share a picture.


In homeschool Brooke has been working on chemistry for her science lately. This week they did a fun experiment with various liquids.  You put them in the graduated cylinder in density order, and color some of them (like the blue), and then drop things in to see where they float.  I think most of the stuff we put in made it down to like, honey, or something, except for the marble that made it all the way down.


We of course celebrated Cinco de Meow-meow, and nobody partied harder than Jelly.  She was completely wiped out by 9 am and had to nap all day long, just like usual!


One day after preschool, all the boys found a lizard and one caught it.  Then they took turns holding it, but obviously I'm most interested in Grayson holding it here.


And I really like it hanging out on his shirt.  This makes me think of those characters in books that have some little animal on a chain attached to a pin on their shirt.  At least I think it was from a book, and I think I'm remembering a beetle with gem stones on it or something.  Anyway, we just need to bedazzle this lizard for Grayson and he's essentially a story book character.


Grayson really wanted to start riding a bike this week, so I went out one morning really quick and put the training wheels back on Winry's old bike.  He had a little bit of a hard time getting the hang of keeping his pedaling going forward, but by the afternoon he was riding all over and having a wonderful time.  He also tipped the bike many times, but always hopped right back up and got back on.  I was out with him while Monica went to pick someone up from dance or something, and he started trying to ride into the garage over the little bump there. That became the new coolest thing ever.  It did cause a lot of tip-overs though as he often didn't approach straight in and a training wheel would hit the bump up and tip him over.  But he wasn't phased and just hopped back on and went again.


The school year is getting pretty close to being over for Grayson, and they took this class picture at the rainbow bridge.  I have so many feelings when I see this picture.  When we moved to Texas and first looked for a preschool, Grayson was so bridge obsessed.  He still likes them, but I feel like it's not as strong as it was before.  Anyway, he was immediately in love with his preschool because of the rainbow bridge. And now to have a picture of him with all the other kids in his class who are about to graduate next week.  I just really love this picture.


My goodness, this post maybe should be retitled to "Grayson, stop growing!!"  To continue on with the theme of riding a bike, finishing preschool, and turning into a successful adult (those are the only kind with animals on their shirts), he also upgraded his bed!  Goodbye toddler mattress, hello twin.  We are planning to get a frame, and likely a fun one with a slide or climbing wall next to it or something. However, we're putting that off for a little until after he gets his tonsils out because we're a little worried about him being on medication that makes him groggy and wanting to come find us in the middle of the night.  Let's try NOT to fall out of bed.


Saturday was the day of days.  The donut run arrived.  Connor and I were pumped!!  The run was a little different than the training, with the donuts being 1 mile into the run.  Not a huge shake up.  I wish I took a picture, but the donuts were delivered to the race on pallets.  There were ~1000 people signed up, so ~12000 donuts. So I guess that makes sense.  I've just never had someone unload a box of donuts from a pallet for me before.  I did manage to finish my dozen, and I ate them 3 at a time smashed together.  The first 6 were fine, just like last week.  Seven to nine I had already had enough donuts that I didn't enjoy the sweetness quite so much. Ten to twelve I had to drink water with each bite to wash the glaze off as I just couldn't handle the sweet taste any more. I often had to take another drink of water to help me be able to chew it all up.  But I did finish, and my fancy, pinky-out eating style scored me a spot on the news!  For some reason the news video had essentially no audio, so you are hearing it right.  I was able to finish in about 50 minutes, with about 25 of those being running, and 25 being donut eating.  That was under the hour, so I scored my sweet sweet trophy.  Oh, and maybe one of the roughest moments of the run was actually on my way back, when I got about 5 blocks out from the finish, the smell of glaze in the air suddenly hit me again.  I did NOT enjoy the sweet smell, but I was able to hold it together and finish strong.


There were donuts EVERYWHERE at the finish line.  I did the challenger race, but if you did casual you just got a dozen donuts at the end of the race.  After powering through a dozen, it was kinda painful to see people walking around with like, 5 dozen donuts as one person was carrying the whole families donuts from the race.  Just like, what do you even do with that.  My bib had a tear off for donuts, which I used during the race, and one for food, which I used after.  I got a breakfast sandwich, which was made on donuts.  I had no desire to eat it, but Brooke enjoyed some of it.


On the way home from the race, we stopped at the church to help clean as it was our week.  I'm really glad we went, because only one other family came, as well as the rep from the EQ presidency.  We stopped at Monster Donuts on the way home as that's our church cleaning tradition, and I passed on getting a donut.  In fact, after the race I didn't eat again until like 2 in the afternoon.  When we got home, I started working on mowing and weed whacking and trimming hedges. Somewhere in that time, I shifted from feeling kinda bad from too much sugar to feeling kinda bad from too much sun and heat and not enough water.  What a day!  Jelly was really trying to get out all day long, so I put her on her leash and she ate some grass.  Then, she met a friend.  I kept them separated since Jelly wanted to be a bit more "friendly" than the lizard was ready for.  Also, there were 3 of them out on our back patio all at once!


Sunday was, of course, Mothers' Day.  We showered Monica with gifts before church, and it's a good thing too or else she wouldn't have been able to be properly fashionable with wavy hair!


At church the kids went up to sing.  Grayson didn't want to go up, but then his friend, Parker, from up on the stage looked around and said "Where's Grayson?" so Grayson ran up to join him.  Thanks Parker!  It turns out that earlier in the morning, Parker told his parents he didn't want to go up and sing, and they said "but Grayson will be up there, don't you want to sing with him?"  Sometimes it's good to have friends, they help us get through the hard times and do the things we need to.


I feel like I spent a decent amount of Mothers' Day cooking, because, you know, that's what Monica spends a decent amount of the day doing.  Oh, and Brooke and Winry made chocolate chip cookies all by themselves.  That's great to know if I'm ever in the mood for a cookie!  We played a round of Yahtzee in the afternoon as a family, and I think it was the kids first time.  Everyone really enjoyed it, though with 5 people it does feel a little slow as it's quite a while before you get the dice back.  Then, in the evening, a thunderstorm rolled in.  It even came late enough that we didn't have to wake up in the middle of the night to see it, but got to watch for a bit before going to bed!


Tis the end of another fine week.  I feel like something about this coming to the end of the school year has really made me appreciate my kids.  How cute and wonderful and fun and funny they are right now.  It's good to recognize how much I enjoy being with them now in the moment.  I feel like sometimes we don't realize how much fun we're having until it's over and you wish for it back, so I'm glad I'm enjoying the here and now.  I hope everyone else is feeling some joy too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment